Okay, we get it, it’s summer. You want to barbeque, and vacation, and dance … you just want to dance!
But even in summer, keeping the discipline of a yoga practice can help you look and feel your best. Here are some simple tips to keeping your flow flowing in the summertime.
- Practice every day, even if it is just a few rounds of sun salutations. Here is a video to help you through Classical Sun Salutations:
- Drink water! It’s easy to become dehydrated in the sun, let alone after a few drinks by the pool. If you’re not hydrated, your yoga practice won’t feel good, and you may become lethargic and uninspired. Drink half of your body weight in ounces of water daily. That will keep you hydrated and, bonus, keep your skin healthy this summer.
- Throw a yoga party. If you can’t make it to the studio, set aside time to have the studio come to you. This is a great time to get together with friends for some group privates. Group privates are a fraction of the cost of one-on-one lessons, and you can request your own playlist!
- Try a yin practice. It’s amazing how few people get out of the power yoga habit and take on the yin practice. Yin yoga is all about the breath, using it to deepen poses held for two to five minutes. There are no standing poses – that’s right, you can come to class and bliss out on the mat. By stretching the fascia, yin can give you all the flexibility of a power class without the sweat. Grounding down to the Earth can help keep you balanced in the chaotic summer energy.
- Yoga your vacation. (Oh how we love The Travel Yogi for thinking that line up!) Yoga retreats have been around for decades, but only recently have they become widespread enough to offer great accessibility despite your budget. Make one of your summer trips a yoga trip, but leave some free time to relax while you’re in your exotic locale. You’ll return with all the benefits of vacation PLUS the benefits of a daily yoga practice.